IMPORTANT Health Conditions for People with DD
There are 8 health issues that are often overlooked and need to be more carefully monitored. These conditions can progress rapidly and result in bigger problems, even death. They include:
- Skin Care (pressure sores; skin breakdown)
- Aspiration Pneumonia
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Constipation and Bowel Obstruction
General process for you to follow if changes in the body are noted:
- Call 911 if there is an emergency.
- Immediately talk with your supervisor about the change you are observing.
- Follow all agency/program policies and procedures for contacting medical professionals, reporting medical issues, and documenting medical conditions.